The Cellular and Molecular Biology Platform comprises the Cell Culture Unit and the Cellular and Molecular Biology Laboratories.
Cell Culture Unit
The main objective of the Cell Culture Unit is to provide support to basic research (preclinical) by facilitating the work of professionals from the Institute and from other centers, as well as by providing services and assistance in this field.
The use of in vitro cell culture systems is a key technology platform in various biomedical research projects. Advances during recent decades have made these techniques an essential tool in the attempt to unravel the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in biological processes.
The Cell Culture Unit makes it possible for users to culture and experiment with cells of various types, both in primary culture and in established cell lines. It also facilitates a wide variety of techniques that enable the detailed characterization and study of cell cultures at the molecular and cellular levels, both of which are essential for the correct interpretation of the results of cell assays.
Cellular and Molecular Biology Laboratories
The mission of the Cellular and Molecular Biology Laboratories of Research Unit of Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Getafe is to promote, coordinate, and facilitate access by the scientific community to the advanced technology services provided by the Cellular and Molecular Biology Platform.
• NanoDrop ND-1000: for quantification and measurement of nucleic acids and proteins
• Bioanalyzer 2100 (Agilent): for determining the quantity and quality of nucleic acids, proteins, and cells. Use of flow cytometry for 2 markers
• 2 standard PCR models: Veriti (Applied Biosystems) and PTC-100 (MJ Research)
• Real-time PCR (Fast Real-Time PCR, Applied Biosystems)
• Microarray scanner (GenePix 4100a, Molecular Devices)
• HPLC (1200 series, Agilent), with detectors for visible UV and differences in potentials using Coulochem III (ESA)
• Nucleic acid electrophoresis: baths, power sources, etc.
• Protein electrophoresis (Western Blot, Bio-Rad): baths, power source, etc (Bio-Rad)
• Image capture workstation for gels and membranes, image analysis software (Alpha Innotech)
• Plate reader (GENios Plus), for fluorescence, absorbance, and luminescence
• MagNA Lyser (Roche) for tissue disaggregation and extraction of proteins and nucleic acids